The Way to Elon Moreh
הדרך לאלון מורה
30.’Are they not across the Jordan, way beyond the way of the setting sun (westwards), in the Land of the Canaanites that dwell in Aravah, opposite (and far-Rashi) from Gilgal, by the Plains of Moreh? –הֲלֹא הֵמָּה בְּעֵבֶר הַיַּרְדֵּן אַחֲרֵי דֶּרֶךְ מְבוֹא הַשֶּׁמֶשׁ בְּאֶרֶץ הַכְּנַעֲנִי הַיֹּשֵׁב בָּעֲרָבָה מוּל הַגִּלְגָּל אֵצֶל אֵלוֹנֵי מֹרֶה (5410+17 words=5427=18 counting final Zadik, Nun and Kaf as 900, 700 and 500).
The verse can be divided so:
· Are they not across the Jordan, way beyond the way of the setting sun-הֲלֹא הֵמָּה בְּעֵבֶר הַיַּרְדֵּן אַחֲרֵי דֶּרֶךְ מְבוֹא הַשֶּׁמֶשׁ (4204=10=1 counting final Nun and Kaf as 700 and 500);
· In the Land of the Canaanites that dwell in Aravah, opposite from Gilgal, by the Plains of Moreh- בְּאֶרֶץ הַכְּנַעֲנִי הַיֹּשֵׁב בָּעֲרָבָה מוּל הַגִּלְגָּל אֵצֶל אֵלוֹנֵי מֹרֶה(1206=1+8).
Rashi comments here that Moses gave them signs to find these mountains. They were far beyond the Jordan in a westerly direction opposite, but far from Gilgal, near Elon More which is Shechem (Beraishit 12.16) (Sotah 33.b; Sifrei 56; Beraishit Rabbah 44.5).
Why did Moses give these signs? Because as I have written above about Abraham –“The deeds of the Forefathers are signs for the children”, thus Moses gave the Children of Israel “signs”to remind them of the path that Abraham their father took to arrive there and that they were to enter and possess the Land because of the righteousness of Abraham.
The way of the setting sun
דֶּרֶךְ מְבוֹא הַשֶּׁמֶשׁ
Name of Hai
The joint gematria of the six places mentioned in the verse is:
· Ever Hayarden- עֵבֶר הַיַּרְדֵּן = 541 or 1191
· Mavoh HaShamesh- מְבוֹא הַשֶּׁמֶשׁ = 694
עֲרָבָה = 277
הַגִּלְגָּל = 71
· Eloneh Moreh- אֵלוֹנֵי מֹרֶה = 342